The Red House is a seminal Arts & Crafts building designed by Philip Webb in 1860. Our work included the conversion of the existing coach house to provide improved entrance café space and a new building housing visitor WCs.
The building is the first new structure on the site since the house was built, and the design involved detailed negotiation with the local authority and English Heritage, as well as National Trust. The form of the modest pavilion mirrors the existing stable building nearby, whilst reading clearly as a contemporary addition. By acting as a ‘book-end’ to the adjacent Coach House it creates a new relationship between the outbuildings. It is clad entirely in timber with a timber roof, timber boarded walls and carefully detailed open timber louvres for ventilation. Internally the spaces are lined with ply and the roof volume is expressed.
Client: The National Trust